Computer made/mounted on velcro 3.5 inch-90mm
47th MEDICAL GROUP
The primary mission of the 47th Medical Group at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas is to support the 47th Flying Training Wing’s medical, dental and aeromedical needs in support of the Air Force’s largest Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training mission.
The medical group is responsible for the health care of over 4,000 Department of Defense beneficiaries and also has a mission of ensuring medical readiness for wartime and other worldwide contingencies.
Laughlin opened its first hospital Jan. 7, 1955. The facility contained 50 beds, expandable to 100 beds, seven operating rooms, a dental clinic, and three flight surgeon offices. In 1977 the existing facility was completed, encompassing more than 80,000 square feet with 20 inpatient beds, expandable to 50 beds, two operating rooms and a multi-service care unit.
Mirroring the “rightsizing” of the Air Force, Laughlin’s inpatient services closed and the hospital became a clinic Oct. 1, 1996. Changes to the facility included replacing the operating rooms and inpatient unit with an outreach clinic and a health and wellness center. Through a joint venture with the Val Verde Regional Medical Center, Air Force physicians admitted and treated DoD beneficiaries in the local civilian hospital.
Today, the 47th MDG is comprised of two squadrons. The 47th Medical Operations Squadron provides services in Family Health, Public Health, Pediatrics, Immunizations, Flight Medicine, Aerospace Physiology, Optometry, Health and Wellness, Dental, Bioenvironmental Engineering, Radiology, and Mental Health. Finally, the 47th Medical Support Squadron provides Laboratory, Pharmacy, TRICARE and Patient Administration Services, in addition to Resource Management, Information Systems, Logistics and Medical Readiness.